Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Weekend

Happy Easter! We hope you had a great weekend. We had a lot of fun and got to spend a lot of time together as a family. Loved every minute! Here's our weekend in photos starting with the cutest bunny I've ever seen! : )


On Thursday night, we painted eggs. I think Simon would have painted several dozen if we had that many! We used Ko ol Aid this year and the colors turned out awesome! And they smelled good, too.



Friday was our second 'Family Day' -- the day we first met Simon Kebebe and became a family together. To celebrate, we went to Abyssinia, one of the Ethiopian restaurants in Indy. Simon LOVED it! Especially so this time -- he ate a ton of food and was a pro with the injera. His favorite is the spicy red lentils.





On Saturday, Simon and I went to the annual egg hunt and carnival at Ivy Tech where Mark goes to school. Simon had a blast playing games and going through the bouncey obstacle course. He has really been into climbing and swinging on things lately so this was right up his alley. I was both proud and humbled when other parents commented on his climbing skills and more than once, he made my heart stop with his 'tricks.' I think I sprouted a few new gray hairs!


We played lots of the carnival games. The event is put-on by the dental hygenist program so there were games like pin the cavity on the tooth.


And one of this favorites -- digging for buried treasure, just like a pirate. Ahoy, Ladies! as Simon is fond of saying!


And it just wouldn't be an Easter egg hunt without a giant moose, right? Right?


I love the look on his face in this photo taken while we were waiting for the egg hunt for his age group to begin. It's hard to have patience for things like this when you're 3.


And here's the ensuing carnage, I mean egg hunting. With all those kids, Simon got 2 eggs. Lucky for him, they each had a peanut butter cup inside so he was happy.


And this just cracked me up. We passed this game about a dozen times and Simon kept insisting that he wanted to catch some money. It was the only line that he stood very patiently in! Not sure what that says about him but he loved it! He got to trade in his dollars for a balloon.


We came home with a ton of Ori ental Trading's finest ... and a new family member. A goldfish that Simon named Ruby. (His friends Xander and Ayla have a dog named Ruby -- probably the only other pet he's ever been around.) So we made a trip to the pet store to get Ruby some food. He faithfully talks to Ruby and feeds Ruby. Cross your fingers that Ruby has staying power, if you know what I mean! And lesson learned -- now I know why other parents avoided this game. I thought, what are the odds? Let him try -- surely he won't win a goldfish! Joke's on me!


Sunday morning was a lot of fun and Simon found all 16 eggs that the Easter bunny hid for him! Each and every egg was found with a squeal of delight!


We went to Mark's parent's house for lunch and time with the family. Simon enjoyed finding LOTS of eggs with his cousins, Lily and Braylee.




When we got home tonight, we played outside and enjoyed the beautiful day. Simon practiced riding his bike and had fun blowing bubbles. I wanted a family picture to mark our family day this week. We were having a lot of fun until Simon's climbing skills got the best of him and he got a goose egg on his head while climbing on his swing set. Poor guy! Some ice and snuggles helped. He had to look in the mirror at his 'duck goose' on his head. It's so funny when he mixes up words! All in all, it was a great weekend. We're hoping that year #3 as a family will bring us another little Ailor to add to the fun!



Happy Spring and Happy Easter, everyone!


1 comment:

Angie Lahman said...

I love your captions and explanations so much-- the love and sweetness of your family just OOZES from these pictures-- blesses me!! Wonderful! :)