Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mellow Monday

Late on Sunday night, I made an uncharacteristic decision ... I decided to spontaneously use a personal day on Monday. The weather forecast looked great for Monday so I thought, why not take the day off and get a few fun projects done around the house?

The last two summers, Mark and I have planted a variety of herbs. But we've learned that the pots we used were too small and they didn't last as long as they should have. So this year, we got a few larger pots and are trying again. I also had the idea to have Mark build a potting table for me and we are using it to keep some of the smaller plants off the ground and hopefully away from small and large critters. (Earlier this spring, a deer ate our pansies and tulips!)

So here is our mini herb container garden! We've got basil, rosemary, two kinds of cilantro, Italian flat leaf parsley, dill, eggplant, three kinds of peppers and cucumbers. And a few potted impatiens in the plant stand. Can't wait to watch everything grow!

Early on Monday evening, I ran to Target to pick up a few groceries. On the way back, I spotted this large, dark animal across the middle pond. Huh? I almost drove into the pond! It was a very large beaver! When Mark went fishing on Sunday night, he thought that he saw an otter. Now we're fairly certain that it was this beaver. Anyway, I ran into the house, put down the groceries, and Mark and I headed back to the pond to see the beaver. Pretty wild!
After a relaxing day, we decided to enjoy our first smoothies of the season. We had some frozen blueberries left from last summer and I brought home some strawberries from the store. Can I just say, yumm-o?? Wow! Mark outdid himself with these smoothies. Makes me look forward to summer and more fresh fruit to add to our smoothies. And aren't they a beautiful color too?



All in all, Monday was great. I love it when I can see results in my work ... not always easy in my 'real' job but I really did enjoy the results of Monday -- plants that will grow and a clean garage!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh how I love days where I can sit back and see the progress I've made!