Sunday, February 22, 2009

Taste of Ethiopia Night

On Saturday night, we hosted a "Little Taste of Ethiopia Night." Mark and I wanted to share our excitement about adopting from Ethiopia so we invited some of our family and friends to attend one of three Ethiopia nights in our home. As you all know, Mark loves to cook and experiment in the kitchen and I love to host/entertain in our home. We thought that this would be a good way to combine both of our interests while sharing some of what we've learned about Ethiopia and international adoption. Plus, we both agree that by tasting the foods of another culture, you begin to get a sense of what life is like there.

Mark is shown serving Dora Wat to our friend Christina. Luckily, Christina likes spicey foods! Christina is one of my co-workers at Purdue. You may remember her from the chocolate fountain pictures back in November.

Here is another one of my co-workers, Debbie. She is studying the Ethiopian nativity that Mark gave me for my birthday back in December. Debbie likes trying new things, too. I have wonderful co-workers! I've been very fortunate to work with fabulous and fun people at both Manchester and Purdue.

I have to admit ... it really helps to just talk about Baby Ailor and what the next year will bring. It makes the whole journey feel more real and tangible. So thank you to all who attended both in January and February. We've got one more in March and we're already looking forward to it!

Our friends Jenny and Maria made the snowy drive from North Manchester to attend on Saturday night. I think that they were glad for a 'girl's night out' and we were glad for their company! Our new friends Ben and Janet are on the other couch. We met them through the Lafayette Ethiopia adoption group and have really enjoyed getting to know them better.
Thanks again to all who attended on Saturday night! Especially to Mark's family who made the hour long drive to be here with us -- thanks for being here!




No comments: