Monday, June 27, 2011

Growing Up

I knew this would happen. Simon is growing up too fast. It seems like each morning he has grown another inch and his vocabulary has increased by 20 words overnight. And while I'm thrilled for how he is developing and growing, I don't like how quickly this all seems to be happening. I don't like it one bit. I kinda want to freeze time and keep him this age because he's so funny! And he still likes to snuggle and give and receive kisses. He still fits well on my lap to read books ... but now he's starting to read the books to me. Sigh. I am using the word 'read' rather loosely but he can turn the pages and tell you what is happening on each page. Blows me away.

He is also becoming quite independent. He is almost potty-trained. He likes to dress and undress himself most of the time now. Simon also likes to choose his own clothing and pajamas each day. Here is a recent example:

He didn't actually wear the socks to school but he thought his outfit was just great! What you can't really see in the photo is that the socks have dinosaurs on the sides and they are tan, lime green and orange. He loves wearing is "flip flops" so it was kind of surprising that he wanted to wear socks with them. The biggest dressing dilemma lately, however, is whether to wear Cars or Thomas the Train underwear. : )

Simon has also become a master on the swing. This boy LOVES to swing! On Sunday alone, he was on the swing for an hour without stopping. Mark has already had to move the chains up a notch so that his feet don't hit the ground. He likes you to push him "big high" and he will talk your ear off about everything under the sun while you push him. It is a fun way to hear what he did during the day and what's on his mind.




We've also noticed a lot more expressions (see the eyes rolling below), character play and a variety of deep and high voices from Simon. He is very good at directing us how to play with him and pretending to play different things. It's so fun to hear the little scenarios and role plays that he shares with us. He is also very into mimmicking life, like telling us it's time to get ready for bed and then reciting the bed time routine that we need to follow as we play.


Another funny little quirk about Simon is that he likes to recite his routine. For example, as I am getting him ready for bed he'll say, "First I read stories then Daddy rock you. I go to bed. The sun comes up. I go to Mommy and Daddy's room. I get in bed. I get dressed. I brush my teeth. I go to school. I play. I take a nap. Mommy, Daddy come get you. I go home. I eat dinner. I go on my swing. I watch cartoons." This boy loves having a routine and doesn't forget a thing!


We took Simon with us to the Farmer's Market last week to pick up our harvest basket. He loves exploring the market. Last week, we let him have a little treat -- popcorn. Doesn't he look so grown up sitting there and eating his popcorn?




We are doing our best to savor each moment with Simon. He is rounding the corner to turning 3 and is already talking about his birthday! But I am going to treasure each moment of him being 2 as long as I can.

1 comment:

Jana said...

Holy cow, he's so big (and handsome, of course)! Amazing!